Hi everyone!
The semester is sort of coming into its' own right now and my repertoir list is piling up.
Barbara said I could have two musical theatre songs (which she hasn't given me yet) so my mind is awhirl with possibilities!
Also, I just bought the 'Barbara Cook's Broadway' CD and am even more excited about the options. You see, Barbara Cook does not allow herself to be limited by gender; if she likes a song, she'll just change a word here or there and sing it.
And you know what?
*hands on hips*
Why the heck not?
So....Without any sort of unifying theme, here is a list of songs I would/do love to sing.
Some of them I have, some of them I haven't; but maybe someday I'll get my own cabaret show and you can all come to Feinsteins or the Chatterbox (I love you Seth Rudetsky!) and hear me sing a few. =D
If I Didn't Believe in You (The Last Five Years)
This is one of the songs I have performed, and I love it every time. This was my first real Jason Robert Brown experience; I heard it on broadway XM and my heart just broke into a million pieces. From that day on, JRB was the voice of my heart. Truly one of the most passionate and gratifying songs I can imagine singing.
Hurry, It's Lovely Up Here (On a Clear Day, You Can See Forever)
Known amongst a select few as 'the happy song', this is just one of the most joyful songs I know. Happiness abounds as the character entreats the flowers to grow using one silly rhyme after another. My favourite line? "Come Rhododend-, courage little friend! Everything will end Rhodo-dandy." Seriously. Any excuse to say 'Rhodo-dandy', and I bubble. =D
My Stupid Mouth (by John Mayer as arrag. for Audra McDonald)
This song speaks to me. Mostly because I'm always embarassing myself. Thank you Audra for having this arranged for a girl.
Finishing the Hat (Sunday in the Park With George)
I don't know if it would ever be possible to alter the lyrics enough for a woman, but I this song speaks so much to what it means to be an artist; "Finishing the hat. How you have to finish the hat. How you watch the rest of the world from a window, while you finish the hat." The melody soars over and over again.
Fable (The Light in the Piazza)
I have sung this one before, and the lyrics are some of the most beautiful I've ever heard. They shimmer with imagery, singing this song is like....standing in a shower of swarosky crystals. The Fairy tale aspect appeals to my imagination as well, it reminds me of childhood glory and Neverending story.
Losing My Mind (Song and Dance)
Sondheim again. Nobody will ever let me sing it though, because it's so repetative! It's not repetative people, it builds in tension. It builds and builds with obsession, that's why the character thinks they're 'losing their mind'. Once again. Passionpassionpassion....*love*
Molasses to Rum (1776)
Another guy song; but it. is. gorgeous. This song is so sensual and hot and dark. It's full of wrath and rage......*basks* soooooo gooooooooooddddd.....
Meadowlark (The Baker's Wife)
Another song with gorgeous imagry. This is one of Patti Lupone's signature songs, so it's traditionally heard with alot of belt, but I really don't think it's necessary. It's passionate, certainly, but it feels to me like there is a certain fragility as well and in my opinion; a belt is not required.
Lovely Lonely Man (Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang)
This song is so simple, and vulnerable. It was cut from the film, but it's on the soundtrack and is sung by Truly after the day on the beach. There is something completely charming and disarming about this sort of openness. It doesn't hurt that the melody is beautiful as well. The simple tune of a simple love.
Hold My Hand (by Jeff Blumenkrantz)
I posted the lyrics to this song a while ago, and I am absolutely in love with it. My single heart beats in sympathy with the lyrics. I don't need someone to buy me roses or take me out to fancy dinners; just someone to hold my hand. (ps. You should all go download Jeff's podcast for free on itunes, because he is wonderful, his music is wonderful, and I heart him)
Franklin Shepherd Inc. (Merrily We Roll Along)
Show-stopping patter song from Sondheim. For a man? Yes. Do I care? Absolutely not. I love patter songs (I did 'Getting Married Today' in a recital), and nobody does it like Sondheim: God of lyrics. It doesn't hurt that this one also covers a dizzying array of emotions. So. Much. FUN!
I Chose Right (Baby)
Super cute. Adorable and romantic. So simple and truthful and beautiful. Lovely.
I'm Way Ahead (Seesaw)
Ok......I know...It's a belter song, and I am soooooo not a belter. But that doesn't stop me from loving this. The whole song is like an emotional scream. She basically has a breakdown. *flutters eyes* An actor's dream!!!
FOR TWO OR MORE
If Only: Quartet (Broadways The Little Mermaid)
Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Alan Menken once again rockin' my world. Trident, Sebastian, Ariel, and Eric all pondering 'if only...'. In my opinion, now the best song in the whole score.
Sign (Annie)
I don't know why I find this so hilarious. But I do. Miss Hannigan and Daddy Warbucks, as he tries to get her to sign the adoption papers and she tries to seduce him into taking her to *ahem* 'Bonus eye-reez'. Bwhahahahaa.
All the Wasted Time (Parade)
Super intense. Super gorgeous. This is one of the most starting songs I've ever listened too, and I couldn't tell you why. Just that I was on the edge of my seat the first time I heard it. Pretty sure it has something to do with the beautifully placed modulations. JRB strikes again.
I'd Give it All for You (Songs for a New World)
Simple duet. Very simple in emotion. But the lyrics are touching and there's so much that you could do with it acting wise. I've had dreams about staging this one!
The I Love You Song (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee)
I want to sing the Mom part, and I want to sing it now! The harmonies in this are SO tight and SO hardcore. It just takes your breath away.
You'll Think of Someone (Promises, Promises)
Super cute. She keeps trying to get him to ask her out and he's just too shy. ADORABLE. Also, super catchy. Just a happy little hummable tune. =D
I Like Your Style (Barnum)
Bouncy. Fun. Not too difficult, but catchy and a good time. A married couple sings about how they are complete opposites and shouldn't possibly work together, except....they like each others' style.
That's all!
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment