Saturday, January 30, 2010

Nice Cinderella, kind good nice, kind good nice.

I am a nice person.

You know how I know?

It seems like everyone else in the world says whatever the hell they feel like, whenever the hell they feel like saying it.

When other people are in a bad mood, the world shall suffer the consequences.

When other people are pissed at someone, they tell them to their face.

Other people get to be visibly annoyed with those around them.

I am a nice person, because I have the restraint not to.

If I am annoyed with you, I won't show it.
If I am mad at you, I probably won't say anything.
And if I am in a bad mood, I will get quiet, which is about the only way you will be able to tell.

That is why I am a nice person.

Because I can look ahead a the consequences of my actions and realize when something is not worth it.
If I yell at that person, they will say 'such&such', and I will say 'such&such', and there will only be a lot of yelling, and no result except tension and a rift that will last a long time.
I may enjoy the glorious euphoric release of finally saying what I really think...
But that feeling only lasts an instant.
The consequences of saying hurtful truths can last a lot longer than the good feelings.

So, much like Meg Ryan in the seminal classic 'You've Got Mail', I keep my mouth shut.

And I must say, that being a nice person in a world of people who don't quite have the same scruples...
Sucks.

I watch my friends and the people around me say whatever comes into their heads (beit truthful, hurtful, etc) and not have a second thought about it.

I guess what I 'm saying is...

Sometimes I just wish I could pack my conscience up for a day and say what I'm really thinking, just to get it off my chest.
If someone annoys me, hurts me, projects their bad day onto me; I just want to tell them to go shove it.
Pack up the remorse, avoid the consequences, and wallow in my own freedom until my fingers get all pruney.

So.....there.

But I won't.
*glares at Jimminy Cricket sitting in the corner*
*grits teeth*
Because I am a (reluctant) nice person.

Cheers Everyone!
And may you tell the truth to someone today.

No comments: