Promises, Promises: OBC
Music & Lyrics: Burt Bacharach & Hal David
Starring: Jerry Orbach, Jill O'Hara
Synopsis: Chuck (Orbach) is an up-and-comer in a non descript business firm who loans his apartment to executives for their trysts. Hijinks and surprisingly serious consequences ensue when Chuck falls for Fran, one of the girls being...well...'trysted' in his apartment.
Review: The score that one finds on this CD is nothing if not infectious. Burt Bacharach, a veritable pop king in the music world ('Say a Little Prayer', 'Always something there to remind me', 'Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head') infuses these songs with the groovin' 70s vibe one would expect, and won a Tony award for his efforts. The tunes in this hit parade roll on by heavy on the trumpets and the bossanova beat (and what is that? An egg-shaker I hear? Yes indeed!)
As one progresses through the CD new gems keep presenting themselves to the listener; I've been listening to this CD for 4 months and every few weeks I find a new favourite.
Part of the reason the score is so versatile is the emotional variance that one finds.
Feeling cheery? How about an adorably awkward love duet?
Cynical? We have that here.
Contemplative? Ambitious? Determined? Betrayed? Elated?
All are available for you right from the comfort of your ipod!
The performances here are also nothing to turn up your nose at. Jerry Orbach is at the height of his leading man prowess and putting on the charm as never before in a performance that would earn him a Tony Award. The vocals from him are strong and pleasing, but occasionally the songs extend beyond his range and he ends up going a bit flat...Noticably flat. ...Ok. Very flat indeed. One wonders why the people in the recording booth didn't notice (Friends don't let friends be preserved for postarity singing underpitch).
Jill O'Hara (Tony nominated here) has a decidedly 70s timbre (trembly, vulnerable, a bit nasal), but it fits the score beautifully. All of her songs are pitch perfect (literally), and she often surprises the listener with the extent of her range. 'Knowing When to Leave' is quite a dark moment in the show and provides her with a spotlight in which to belt, emote, and shine.
Now, I don't want to rave too much. I must warn you that there are a few 'turkeys' (no one will ever make me like 'Turkey Lurkey Time') in a otherwise perfectly enjoyable score ('Our Little Secret' never ceases to grate my nerves with its' plodding, self-congradulatory tone and major tuning issues. Seriously! Did anyone even listen to track before putting it on a cd?!), but you can easily skip past them and the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.
The CD as a whole is a groovy, feel-good trip back in time that will leave you humming for months on end. Promise. =D
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Listen to: 'I'll Never Fall in Love Again', 'You'll Think of Someone', 'She Likes Basketball'
Interesting Facts: The show is soon to be revived on Broadway (March 2010) in a production to be directed and choreographed by Rob Marshall. Mr. Marshall is an experienced theatre and film director with six Tony nominations to his name (all of them for choreography) as well as an Oscar nom. for his direction of the film 'Chicago'. I think you will all agree that we are in pretty good hands here.
The production will star Sean Hayes (Is anyone else profoundly confused by this casting decision?) and Kristen Chenoweth.
1 comment:
Seen Nine yet? I have to get my ass out to see that! Playcrafter's did this show last year? Maybe two years ago... I really should find me a copy of the album! I am SO excited for another Cheno musical. :)
Post a Comment