Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The night before the dawn before the DAY of Christmas!

Hello everyone!!!
It's Christmas eve!!!
And for me that means.....
CHRISTMAS!
(since nothing really happens for our family on Christmas day)

Christmas Eve service at the church was first.
It's my favourite service in all the live long year.
Mostly because it's just so dark and beautiful and atmospheric and everyone sings all the Christmas songs that we love (Huzzah for my brother singing 'Mary Did you Know?'!)

Tonight all the children in the congregation were particularly rambunctious.
They just couldn't manage to be quiet for two minutes together!
It was quite amusing.
My favourite part was when RuthAnn was singing, 'Breath of Heaven' and after the line that says, "What have I done?" one of the children in the congregation let out one heck of a yelp (which sort of set off whimpers and squeals from all the rest of the kids).
All as if to say, "No. Really. What have you done? I mean, Mary? Did you know?"

Then at the end when Pastor Casey was finishing with the 'Christmas Prayer', all the children got really loud and started almost a sort of call and response with each other; each child listening to the screams of the child across the isle and responding in kind.
And all I could think as I tried to hide my giggles was, 'God bless the little children'. LOL!

Then my family came back to the house for the traditional Christmas eve homemade chicken stew, and chili.
Lots of chaos. The children were quite wound (probably from all that call and response at church) and were running around screaming like banshees.
Mom kept trying to take pictures of people, everyone was snitching cookies, the grandmas couldn't hear, and by the time the soup was ready we were all to full of cookies to eat much, but managed to force ourselves.
All in all, it was the usual ritual. =D

We opened our presents next.
Which was anarchy.
It's hard for it not to be when there are chittluns involved.
They're just so darned excited!
Elsie was adorable, she kept walking around showing people her presents and smiling, "This is my dolly. This is my dora. This is my book. Read my book please?"
Joe and Ayden ran around with screamy laser guns Mom got them.
And little baby Abe kept ending up on the floor underneath wrapping paper.
I swear, it felt like the kid was trying to get crushed!

My big present this year was a GPS system for my car.
And when I opened it, I cried.
A lot.
Because I absolutely did not think I was getting one. And that was ok.
But then I did.
And now I don't have to be lost anymore.
That's what I kept saying to mom through my tears, "I don't have to get lost anymore!!! Thank you Mom!! Dad, I won't be lost anymore!!"
It was pretty pathetic.
But man.
I am so happy I don't have to be lost anymore.
You have no idea how important something like this can be, until you've spent your life being directionally handicapped.
Always having to leave a half and hour earlier than everyone else because you're going to get lost on the way.
Never being able to just leave, because you have to follow another car.
The stress of being lost in scary areas of a city.

I am soooooooooooooooo happy.

In other news, my Grandmas made me my t-shirt quilt!!!!
It's a quilt with all of the t-shirts I had in high school and early college from plays and stuff sewn in.
I don't really wear t-shirts, but I wanted to save these and the Grandmas made them a quilt for me! =D
And now I will have them always.
Which is awesome.

From Phil I got an AWESOME 'Doctor Who' key chain (Sarah, Emily, and Rachel: I'll show you guys after break. It's fantastic)
He also got me a cool graphic novel and a giant history of 'Doctor Who' tome that has like, everything a person could ever want to know about 'Doctor Who' in it. =D

There were several other wonderful Christmas delights, but I love you all too much to make a complete list of my bounty here. You don't want to read that!

So, with that I will say, "good night" to you all, "Happy Birthday" to Jesus, and.......

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: